Respect. Protect. Connect
We could not provide such outstanding care for our animals without the help of our dedicated volunteers. Anderson volunteers are involved in nearly every aspect of what we do, providing hands-on care to animals as well as helping to keep the facility clean, participating in events and fundraisers, assisting with administrative functions and even fostering animals in their own homes.
Volunteer Application Button
Volunteer of the Month
Volunteer Opportunities for children under 16
Military Veterans Program
Healing Paws Program
(847) 697-2880 xt. 32
1. Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age at the time they apply to become an Anderson volunteer. Children and teens who want to get more involved are encouraged to check out our Humane Education Program. (link to Humane Ed page)
2. Be willing to commit to a weekly or biweekly volunteer schedule.
3. All volunteers need to be able to volunteer autonomously and be able to handle an unpredictable environment.
4. Have a valid email address that is checked frequently.
5. Attend both an orientation and training shifts.
6. Pay the volunteer fee of $25 (this non-refundable donation helps offset volunteer costs and maintain our volunteer program).
Ways you can volunteer at Anderson:
Animal Care Volunteers:
• Dog walking, training, & socializing
• Kennel/Shelter Cleaning
• Laundry & Dishes
• Shredding Newspaper for kennel use
• Cat training, & socializing
• Cage/Shelter Cleaning
• Laundry & Dishes
Service volunteers are asked to commit to 4 volunteer hours per month in one or more of the areas below.
• Transport Arrival Team
• Event Support (fundraisers, community outreach, adoption events)
• Humane Education (birthday parties, shelter tours)
• Customer Service (greeter, docent)
• Pet Taxi (drivers for offsite veterinary appointments)
• Volunteer Projects (email requests sent on an “as needed” basis)
Military Veterans’ Program
MVP Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of 4 hours per month.
Supporting Anderson's MVP program, veteran volunteers are trained in the methods of positive reinforcement training and work with shelter animals to improve their adoptability.
Healing Paws Pet Therapy Program
Healing Paws Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of 4 volunteer hours per month.
Anderson’s Healing Paws Program is a volunteer-based animal assisted therapy group, providing positive pet experiences to children and adults throughout our community.